June Just Got a Whole Lot Better
For the first time in 29 years, I was dreading June. Normally, just thinking about June makes me smile. For Pete's sake, who doesn't like this month?! When we were little, it meant freedom from school. When I lived in Michigan, it meant the start of really warm weather. In Florida, I was free from snow-birds, and could enjoy the beaches and restaurants again. And of course, June is my birthday month, and who doesn't like their birthday! But this June...it was going to be a struggle for me.
Part of being a Marine Reservist means you spend about three weeks every summer doing some sort of active duty somewhere around the world. Ryan's unit is going to Africa this June, and he was originally scheduled to leave June 5th, and then he got word last week that he may have to leave as early as May 27th. Here's the kicker- he wasn't scheduled to arrive home until June 30th. That meant I would have had to spend the WHOLE MONTH by myself, on top of worrying about Ryan's safety while he's in a third world country.
However! Yesterday we found out that Ryan is finally going to have surgery for his major sinus problems. For years he's been suffering constant congestion, sneezing, sniffling, cold-like, stuffed up, allergy symptoms. During the day, he's miserable. And at night, I'm miserable (you try sleeping next to someone who can't breathe). This surgery is a blessing! He's finally going to be able to breathe, hear, talk, sound like the rest of us. The surgery will be doing that much for him. It's scheduled for June 4th, which means no Africa trip. And you know what? Selfishly, I'm ok with that. June just got a whole lot better!
Part of being a Marine Reservist means you spend about three weeks every summer doing some sort of active duty somewhere around the world. Ryan's unit is going to Africa this June, and he was originally scheduled to leave June 5th, and then he got word last week that he may have to leave as early as May 27th. Here's the kicker- he wasn't scheduled to arrive home until June 30th. That meant I would have had to spend the WHOLE MONTH by myself, on top of worrying about Ryan's safety while he's in a third world country.
However! Yesterday we found out that Ryan is finally going to have surgery for his major sinus problems. For years he's been suffering constant congestion, sneezing, sniffling, cold-like, stuffed up, allergy symptoms. During the day, he's miserable. And at night, I'm miserable (you try sleeping next to someone who can't breathe). This surgery is a blessing! He's finally going to be able to breathe, hear, talk, sound like the rest of us. The surgery will be doing that much for him. It's scheduled for June 4th, which means no Africa trip. And you know what? Selfishly, I'm ok with that. June just got a whole lot better!


1 Comments:
A whole lot better for you maybe, but I'm not so sure about Ryan!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home